Apply as a Current USU or Transfer Student
The University Honors Program benefits motivated, ambitious students. The program values diversity and seeks students who bring a wide variety of perspectives, experiences, and skills to the honors community.
Honors accepts applications from transfer and existing USU students on a rolling basis.
All applicants must typically have 1) maintained a minimum 3.5 cumulative college GPA, 2) earned at least a B+ in English 2010 or equivalent course, if previously taken, 3) time remaining to meet all required honors milestones (typically four terms), and 4) demonstrated in their honors application essays and extracurricular resume the potential to be curious, engaged learners both in and outside their majors at USU. For more information, please make an appointment with Honors advising.
All applications must include: (1) a completed basic information form with the name and email address of a professor in your major or research area to serve as a reference, (2) a detailed extracurricular resume focused on work relevant to the USU Honors Program and following the format of our Sample Activity Resume, (3) an unofficial college/USU transcript, and (4) two essays that respond specifically to the prompts below.
How to Create an Extraordinary Honors Application
For advice on your Honors application, please review our Honors application advice sheet.
Step 1: Basic Information and Reference
- Complete the basic information form at the bottom of this page, including the name and email address of a professor who has agreed to serve as a reference.
Step 2: Extracurricular Resume
- Upload (below) a brief (1–2 page) extracurricular resume.
Step 3: Transcript
- Upload (below) an unofficial college transcript.
Along with your transcript, you may submit a brief (200–250 word) paragraph putting your course choices and grades in context. Some transcripts speak for themselves; if yours does not, please feel free to speak briefly on its behalf.
Step 4: Essay
- Upload (below) two brief essays.
The USU Honors Program seeks a diverse group of curious, engaged students with the ability and desire to share ideas across disciplines. Our motto, from the poet Horace, is “Sapere aude” or “Dare to Know,” and we want to support students eager to take that dare. Please write and submit two brief essays that respond to the following prompts:
Academic Curiosity (250-300 words): Describe thoughtfully and in detail one key moment during college when you became truly passionate about a specific academic idea, assignment, or activity. How and why did this particular moment capture your imagination, and how does this example illustrate your academic curiosity and desire to take our Dare to Know?
Honors Interest (250-300 words): Take a look at descriptions of our upcoming Honors Think Tank Courses and Honors Book Labs. Choose one Think Tank or Book Lab that sounds particularly interesting to you, and write an essay describing what you imagine contributing to the interdisciplinary conversation if you had the opportunity to enroll. We are interested in curious students who bring diverse perspectives to our community and who are eager to expand their own and others’ perspectives through civil discourse and conversation. Use your discussion of one particular USU Honors Think Tank Course or Book Lab to show us more broadly what you personally would add to our Honors community.
Step 5: Combining and Converting Your Application Files
From Google Drive:
- If all of the files you want to convert are together in one Google Drive document, use the top menu to choose File>Download As>pdf document. Don't forget to save your application with the appropriate file name.
- If you need to add additional files before converting, choose Insert>Image to combine your files, and then follow step 1.
From Microsoft Word:
- If all the files you want to convert are already part of one Word document, select File>Save As. Then, name your file and choose “.pdf” as the file format.
- If your documents are not all Word files, place the cursor in your Word document where you want to insert your PDF, JPG, or other file. Then, select Insert>Picture (Insert>Object in some versions). Once all of your documents are in one file, use the instructions in step 1 to convert the file into a single pdf.
- Using Preview, open all of the individual files that you want to combine.
- Using the small dropdown box in the top left, select Thumbnail view.
- Click and drag each page from thumbnail into a single preview window.
- When you have put all the documents into one file, select all the thumbnails (shift+click on Mac) and choose File>Export as PDF in the main Preview Menu. Save using the appropriate file name.
Please do not upload separate Word documents, JPGs, Google Docs, Pages documents, Zip files, or other filetypes. Try using the techniques in this article if you have additional questions about combining or converting your files.
Please note that applications will only be processed if students submit all documents and complete all steps of the application, as outlined above.
NOTE: Students interested in completing Honors with a Business major may also be interested in applying to the Huntsman Scholars Program. Admission to the Huntsman, Quinney, or Caine Scholars programs does not guarantee admission to the University Honors Program; please apply directly to Honors.
Transfer or Existing USU Student Application
No information that you provide below will be used in a discriminatory manner.
Upload Your Transcript and Resume: