Helen B. and Lawrence O. Cannon Scholarships
Due February 1 — two awards of $1,000 each
Initiated in 2004 and 2007, respectively, the Helen B. and Lawrence O. Cannon Scholarships pay tribute to two superb teachers and mentors, with awards made possible through the generosity of their family and friends.
The Helen B. Cannon Scholarship is awarded each year to a student in the humanities, arts, social sciences, business or education; the Lawrence O. Cannon Scholarship is awarded to a student in science, math, engineering, or technology. A faculty selection committee determines applicants' eligibility and makes awards accordingly.
The merit-based Cannon awards support honors students with distinguished records who demonstrate exceptional promise for future success.
The criteria for these scholarships include:
- Junior year in student's major;
- Overall academic merit including GPA, honors, and/or awards;
- Likelihood the student will complete a capstone project and graduate with Honors;
- Evidence of significant original work, such as exhibited art work, publicly presented research, or published essays;
- Coherent future plans to help make the world a better place. This positive impact might happen through further study/research in the discipline, public service employment, law/medicine in the public interest, or advancement of beneficial technology.
Applications are due February 1, 2019.