Departmental Honors Advisor:
Dr. Christy Glass
Old Main 224E, ext 71258
Eligibility for Acceptance:
Qualified students will have cumulative GPAs of at least 3.30 and will have declared a major in the department.
Program of Study:
The 15-credit requirement for Honors in Sociology is met by successfully completing contracts in the following courses:
- 9 credits of upper-division coursework must be taken in the department.
- 3 lower-division Honors credits may accepted provided they are not used toward Honors in University Studies.
- 3 upper-division credits may be taken outside the department, with the approval of the Departmental Honors Advisor.
- 3 credits must be taken in SOC 4600 as thesis credits.
*Nothing lower than a B grade is acceptable in courses in which an Honors contract is being completed.
**Students who fail to complete a contract, once entered into with a faculty member, will be placed on academic probation for one semester.
Requirements for Completion of Degree:
The successful candidate will graduate with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.30 and a GPA of 3.5 in upper-division coursework taken in the department and in Honors coursework and will complete and present in a public forum an Honors thesis/project. Many students have found it helpful to relate the courses taken on Honors contract to the final thesis/project.
Suggested Honors Course Work in the Department:
(Required of all Sociology majors)
- SOC 1010 (3) Introductory Sociology
- SOC 3010 (3) Race, Class, and Gender
- SOC 3110 (3) Methods of Social Research
- SOC 3120 (3) Social Statistics I
(Recommended for Honors candidates)
- SOC 4010 (3) Contemporary Sociological Theory
- SOC 4370 (2370) (3) Sociology of Gender
- SOC 3200 (3) Population and Society
- SOC 3430 (3) Social Deviance