Departmental Honors Advisor:
Dr. Terry Peak
M 239D, ext. 74080
Eligibility for Acceptance:
Qualified students will have cumulative GPAs of at least 3.30 and will have declared a major in the department.
Program of Study:
The 15-credit requirement for Honors in Social Work is met by successfully completing contracts in the following courses:
- 9 or more credits of upper-division coursework must be taken in the department
- 3 credits must be taken under Senior Thesis/Project (HONR 4900)
- The Honors thesis will be completed as part of the requirements for SW 5350, Social Work Policy.
- 3 upper-division credits may be taken in an upper-division course outside the department, with approval of the Departmental Honors Advisor.
*Nothing lower than a B grade is acceptable in courses in which an Honors contract is being completed.
**Students who fail to complete a contract, once entered into with a faculty member, will be placed on academic probation for one semester.
Requirements for Completion of Degree:
The successful candidate will graduate with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.30 in upper-division coursework taken in the department and in Honors coursework will complete and present in a public forum an Honors thesis/project. Many students have found it helpful to relate the courses taken on Honors contract to the final thesis/project.
Suggested Honors Course in the Department:
- SW 3350 (3) Child Welfare
- SW 3360 (3) Adolescents: Theories, problems, issues
- SW 3450 (3) School Social Work
- SW 3550 (3) Social Gerontology
- SW 3650 (3) Mental Health
- SW 3750 (3) Medical Social Services
- SW 3850 (3) Spirituality and Social Work
- SW 4100 (3) Social Work Research