Departmental Honors Advisor:
Dr. Veronica Ward
Main 324E, ext. 71319
Eligibility for Acceptance:
Qualified students will have cumulative GPAs of at least 3.30 and will have declared a major in the department.
Program of Study:
The 15-credit requirement for Honors in Political Science or Law & Constitutional Studies is met by successfully completing contracts in the following courses:
- 9 credits of upper-division coursework must be taken in the department.
- 3 credits must be taken under POLS 4990 (senior research seminar with Honors contract).
- 3 upper-division credits may be taken outside the department with the approval of the Departmental Honors Advisor.
- Senior Thesis: Normally a student will write a senior thesis under the direction of the faculty member conducting the POLS 4990 senior seminar. However, a student may write a senior thesis utilizing HONR 4900 for 3 credits under the direction of a faculty member in the department when the 4990 seminar topic area does not suit the needs of the student's individual program.
- Courses taken on a Pass/Fail basis will not be accepted for Honors
*Nothing lower than a B grade is acceptable in courses in which an Honors contract is being completed.
**Students who fail to complete a contract, once entered into with a faculty member, will be placed on academic probation for one semester.
Requirements for Completion of Degree:
The successful candidate will graduate with a GPA of 3.5 in upper-division coursework taken in the department and in Honors course work and will complete and present in a public forum an Honors thesis/project. Many students have found it helpful to relate the courses taken on Honors contract to the final thesis/project.