Transfer or Existing USU Student ApplicationThe University Honors Program benefits motivated, ambitious students. The program values diversity and seeks students who bring a wide variety of perspectives, experiences, and skills to the honors community.
Existing USU students and transfer students are invited to apply for admission at one of three DEADLINES: October 15 (begin Spring), March 15 (begin Summer/Fall), or June 15 (begin Fall).
All applicants must typically have 1) maintained a minimum 3.5 cumulative college GPA, 2) earned at least a B+ in English 2010 or equivalent course, if previously taken, 3) time remaining to meet all required honors milestones (typically four terms), and 4) demonstrated in their honors application essays and extracurricular resumes the potential to be curious, engaged learners both in and outside their majors at USU. For more information, please make an appointment with honors advising.
All applications must include: (1) a completed basic information form with the name and email address of a professor in your major or research area to serve as a reference, (2) an unofficial college/USU transcript, (3) a detailed extracurricular resume focused on work relevant to the USU Honors Program and following the format of our Sample Activity Resume, and (4) an essay that responds specifically to the prompt below.
Step 1: Basic Information and Reference
- Complete the basic information form at the bottom of this page, including the name and email address of a professor in your major or research area who has agreed to serve as a reference.
Step 2: Transcript
- Upload (below) an unofficial college transcript.
Step 3: Extracurricular Resume
- Upload (below) a brief (1–2 page) extracurricular resume. All resumes should follow the format of the Sample Activity Resume.
Your resume should demonstrate your potential as a curious, engaged honors student at USU. Please list any relevant honors classes and non-classroom academic experiences (service projects, internships, undergraduate research work, grant applications, study abroad) completed during college. This information will be used to assign honors points that count toward milestone completion in Honors. Please include a brief description of each activity and its end product (written summary, presentation, paper, etc.), the school year (first, second, third) during which you completed the activity, and the total number of hours required to complete non-class activities.
Step 4: Essay
- Write a 500-word personal essay that responds specifically to the prompt below.
The University Honors Program seeks a diverse group of students with academic passion and the ability to share ideas across disciplines. For this essay, imagine yourself in the USU Honors Program. Think of a research or creative project related to your major that you would really like to pursue on campus and write an essay that defines what your academic passions are and describes 1) how the project allows you to follow them, 2) who at USU might help you to explore those passions in new and interesting ways, and 3) why your project would make the University Honors Program a more exciting place to be—think about how your project might capture the imaginations even of professors and students with very different interests from your own. Please refer to specific details from your personal background and/or activity resume to explain your academic passions and your ability to bring those passions to life in the honors community at USU.
Step 5: Combining and Converting Your Application Files
From Google Drive:
- If all of the files you want to convert are together in one Google Drive document, use the top menu to choose File>Download As>pdf document. Don't forget to save your application with the appropriate file name.
- If you need to add additional files before converting, choose Insert>Image to combine your files, and then follow step 1.
From Microsoft Word:
- If all the files you want to convert are already part of one Word document, select File>Save As. Then, name your file and choose “.pdf” as the file format.
- If your documents are not all Word files, place the cursor in your Word document where you want to insert your PDF, JPG, or other file. Then, select Insert>Picture (Insert>Object in some versions). Once all of your documents are in one file, use the instructions in step 1 to convert the file into a single pdf.
- Using Preview, open all of the individual files that you want to combine.
- Using the small dropdown box in the top left, select Thumbnail view.
- Click and drag each page from thumbnail into a single preview window.
- When you have put all the documents into one file, select all the thumbnails (shift+click on Mac) and choose File>Export as PDF in the main Preview Menu. Save using the appropriate file name.
Please do not upload separate Word documents, JPGs, Google Docs, Pages documents, Zip files, or other filetypes. Try using the techniques in this article if you have additional questions about combining or converting your files.
Please note that applications will only be processed if students submit all documents and complete all five steps of the application, as outlined above.
NOTE: Students interested in completing Honors with a Business major may also be interested in applying to the Huntsman Scholars Program. Admission to the Huntsman, Quinney, or Caine Scholars programs does not guarantee admission to the University Honors Program; please apply directly to Honors.
Transfer or Existing USU Student Application
No information that you provide below will be used in a discriminatory manner.