Honors Research and Study Abroad Fund
The Honors Research and Study Abroad Funds offer honors students financial support for academic activities that enhance the honors undergraduate experience. Students must seek matching funding (from sources such as departments, colleges, URCO, USUSA) and include amounts of such funding in application; Honors splits costs with other entities within funding limits described below.
The general requirements for applications are as follows:
Examples of learning opportunities eligible for Honors Research and/or Study Abroad funding:
- Students must submit a budget outlining expenses: minimum request is $50; maximum award per academic year is $1000.
- Students may apply for up to $1000 for study abroad programs of one month or longer, and up to $500 for domestic research/conference travel or shorter international research experiences.
- Each student may receive one study abroad grant ($1,000) and up to eight HRF grants of $500 each during their time in the University Honors Program: maximum funding from this source for any student is thus $5,000 total. All awarded honors research or study abroad funds must be used and accounted for by July 1 of the academic year in which the student graduates.
- Honors considers applications on a rolling basis.
- Only active honors students on track to graduate with honors may apply.
- Students must apply for Honors Research or Study Abroad Funding before the project, event, or travel occurs. Honors does not award retroactive funding.
Examples of ineligible expenses:
- Research, scholarship, and creative activities or materials
- Research trips to archives, libraries, or field sites
- International service opportunities as Honors in Practice contract work
- International or domestic internships as Honors in Practice contract work
- Presentation at academic conferences
- Enrollment in a non-USU course that would prepare the student for his or her capstone project
- NCHC "Partners in the Parks" program fees and travel expenses for contract work
- Study abroad (four week minimum)
- Matching funds for URCO grants
- Personal equipment (iPods, digital cameras, computers, or any equipment that would remain the property of the student)
- Non-professional or educational travel (personal trips, vacations, social events, or short trips abroad that do not meet the four-week Study Abroad Fund minimum)
- USU tuition
- Student stipend or wages
How to Apply
The application form asks students to describe their needs, to develop a budget, and to identify other sources of funding for which they have applied (students should be seeking funding from multiple sources). Students attending a conference, studying abroad for at least one month, or traveling for a specific service opportunity must provide proof of acceptance to the conference or program. Applicants must be honors students in good standing and on track to graduate with honors. Please download the application and submit a TYPED application form and a one-page budget to the Honors Program in LLC Building A, Room 112 (or email to firstname.lastname@example.org).